I converted a used JDM C56 transmission from a Celica GT to work in an MR2 Spyder
First, I had to identify the Toyota 1ZZ/C5x JDM transmission to confirm it was a match.
Steps to convert Celica GT transmission to work in an MR2 Spyder:
- Locked the transmission
- Removed 5th gear using a modified tool
- Removed the cup seal from the original shifter shaft (which goes out the wrong side). Plugged the hole using a "sidewalk bolt".
- Installed new longer gearing (C56 Corolla xxx ratio instead of the stock .8?? ratio)
- Sealed it up with Permatex gasket maker
- tapped the shaft bushing all the way to the other end to match the location it was in in the MR2 transmission
- Installed new axle shaft seals